Incorporating a Professional Practice

Updated October 29, 2022
Share this guide

Due to the nature of their businesses, most professional service providers (e.g. accountants, doctors, and attorneys) are required to incorporate their companies under one of three specific structures. The primary reason for this is to address the increased level of service liability and legal responsibilities of these types of businesses.  In order to protect both the owner and customers, the choices for practice incorporation are limited to professional limited liability corporations (referred to as PLLCs), limited liability partnerships (known as LLPs), or professional corporations (called PCs, but occasionally referred to as service corporations, and abbreviated SCs).While these structures do have similarities, there are several notable differences regarding taxation, liability, and perpetuity.


Taxes are an unavoidable aspect of running a business. Each incorporation structure for your professional practice has ramifications for your tax bill.  

  • PLLC’s — offer two tax structure options. They can choose to be taxed as either a C corporation, or as a “pass-through” entity.  Most owners choose the later, as it allows the practice’s owners to only pay taxes at the personal level, avoiding corporate income tax.

  • LLP’s — taxes are paid on a “pass-through” basis as well, but with a few extra formalities. They are required to file a few special tax forms, which specify the division of profit and loss between the partners.

  • PC’s — considered the “C corps” of the professional service industry, and often referred to as professional service corporations.  They have a special designation for federal tax purposes, and pay a flat rate of 35% on all profits.  However, due to the high wage expenses typically paid to partners, they are often left with little taxable income.  In many states, PC’s can elect to file for S corp status to take advantage of “pass-through” taxation benefits.

Liability issues

One of the most significant challenges faced by many professionals is personal liability. Due to the importance of their work, service professionals are often required to carry special types of insurance, facing a different set of legal liability requirements. This is especially true of attorneys and medical professionals.  It is exceedingly important that owners of professional corporations are aware of these requirements. It’s always best to talk to a filing professional when starting a new practice.  There are a three main liability issues facing professional practices:

  • Professional liability protection — In order to offer recourse to clients claiming unsatisfactory treatment, incorporating does not protect owners of a practice from any malpractice claims filed against the company. As a result, most professionals must carry some type of malpractice insurance.  

  • Protection against partner malpractice — In the case of a successful malpractice claim, only the partner responsible for the claim can be held financially accountable for the damages to the business.

  • Personal asset protection — As with any other corporate structure, the owners of a professional corporation are given personal asset protection. Because of this protection, owners typically cannot use personal funds to satisfy any claims against, or debts of, the business.


Barring any major changes to its ownership structure, a professional corporation is a perpetual entity. This means that even in the event of significant ownership changes, it is a relatively straightforward process to reorganize the business and continue operations. It should also be noted that forming a professional corporation often takes significantly longer than incorporating other businesses, as professional licensing boards are often involved in the process, and must ensure that the practice completes all industry requirements.

Swyft can help!

Are you looking to incorporate your professional practice? Swyft’s experienced representatives can talk to you about your options.Contact us today!

Originally published on October 29, 2022, and last edited on October 29, 2022.

Frequently Asked Questions

Looking for answers? You came to the right place. To learn more about our company mission and culture, click the link below.

Life at Swyft
How much does it cost to form a corporation or LLC?

You can form a corporation or LLC with our help for as little as $0, plus state filing fees for incorporation. Filing fees vary depending on the state you incorporate in. For more information on specific states, check out our state guides on the Swyft Resource Center. You can also email us with specific questions or contact us at 877-777-0450.

What payment methods do you accept?

Swyft Filings accepts payment through Visa, MasterCard, American Express, PayPal, checks, and money orders. You can send any questions about payment to our email address or contact us at 877-777-0450.

Will I have to pay additional fees to Swyft Filings after completing my order?

It depends on what you ordered. If all you did was file your corporation or LLC, the price you paid when ordering is all you pay. You will have no further fees after that.

However, if you signed up for the Swyft Filings Registered Agent Service, you will be charged its initial fee three days after you place your order. From then on, you will be charged according to the terms of your subscription until you change your registered agent with the state or dissolve your company. If you change your agent or dissolve your company on your own, let us know so we can discontinue billing.

Other potential subscription-based options include SnapMailbox, 360 Legal Forms, and ComplianceGuard. If you opt for SnapMailbox or 360 Legal Forms, you will be charged a monthly fee after their respective 30-day free trials end. ComplianceGuard has an annual fee after a 14-day free trial. All three of these services are completely optional.

When will my order be processed?

Our team processes all Standard orders on a first come, first served basis. If you opt for Express or Same-Day Processing, we prioritize your order and send it to the front of the line. However, no matter how fast we get it out the door, you’ll still have to wait for your state to address your filing.

Swyft Blog

Everything you need to know about starting your business.

Each and every one of our customers is assigned a personal Business Specialist. You have their direct phone number and email. Have questions? Just call your personal Business Specialist. No need to wait in a pool of phone calls.

Woman in room with flowers in vases.
Preparing to Launch

5 LegalZoom Alternatives for Entrepreneurs

If you’ve considered forming a Limited Liability Company (LLC), corporation, or nonprofit, you’ve probably heard of LegalZoom. This service has helped entrepreneurs with business formation since 2001.
Coffee Shop Owner on Computer
Preparing to Launch

Northwest Registered Agent vs. LegalZoom

Our Northwest Registered Agent vs. LegalZoom comparison reviews each service’s formation time, customer service, and offerings so you make an informed choice.
Nonprofit Spotlight: Bailey's Bookworms' Mission of Literacy
Managing Your Business

Nonprofit Spotlight: Bailey's Bookworms' Mission of Literacy

Swyft Filings is a business formation service that automates the filing process for entrepreneurs, making it easier to get their LLC, C corp, S corp, or nonprofit off the ground. Since 2015, we've helped over 300,000 businesses incorporate.
Blog Card Image
Managing Your Business

What's an Apostille?

Swyft Filings is a business formation service that automates the filing process for entrepreneurs, making it easier to get their LLC, C corp, S corp, or nonprofit off the ground. Since 2015, we've helped over 300,000 businesses incorporate.
zenbusiness vs legalzoom - Swyft Filings

ZenBusiness vs. LegalZoom: Comparing LLC Formation Services

Our ZenBusiness vs. LegalZoom comparison reviews each service’s formation time, customer service, and other features so you make an informed choice.
Setting Up Business Credit
Managing Your Business

How to Get an EIN to Open a Business Bank Account

In most cases, you need an employer identification number to open a business bank account. Follow these steps to get an EIN for your business banking needs

Do what you love. We'll handle the paperwork.

Trusted by over 250,000 businesses since 2015. Start your business with confidence. Affordable. Fast. Simple.

Incorporate now
Dummy Switchback Image